Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome to Life Settlement Post

The Life Settlement Post is a blog tracking the emerging industry of life settlements. I started following the industry a few years back when they were still called viaticals.

My first thoughts were, " This is a good idea. Folks can use this." I mulled over ownership and insurable interest issues for a few moments. At one time I sold insurance. Life and health mostly, but I was licensed for all lines and mutual funds also. I eventually figured out I didn't enjoy sales so I moved on.

My next thoughts were, "There's a lot of room for fraud here." After a little Googling I found that the industry was riddled with fraud and scams. At least that's the way it appeared in the search listings. There was very little real information. Most sites provided a few lines and then asked for contact info. Very frustrating. A good idea gone bad.

Thankfully, legitimate companies moved to correct the problem. Because of the negative associations with the term viactical they started using the name of life settlements. The industry expanded into servicing insured seniors as well as the terminally ill. Leaders in the industry formed LISA, the Life Insurance Settlement Association. States started passing regulations. The industry began to grow. Rapidly.

This blog, Life Settlement Post, is about this developing industry, the struggle between regulators, insurance companies and the settlement companies to develop fair laws to govern it; the consumers, professionals, investors and others who are part of it; and, of course, the scams and frauds which grab the headlines from time to time.

If you have a question concerning viatical or life insurance settlement not covered in the blog please feel free to contact me here.

Please note, I do not buy or sell viatical or life settlements nor am I a financial adviser. I am just someone who finds this topic interesting to follow and write about. Before you make any decision regarding the sale of your Life Insurance policy you should consult with your personal financial adviser.


Resources

BetterViaticalSettlement.com

Life Settlement Articles

No comments: